Acne...


 
 Today I want to share my experiences with Acne, since Tia asked me to do a post about skin care! I thought this would be interesting and helpful for quite a few of you, because I know that sometimes all you want to do is hide your face or slather a ton of make up on. Acne can actually have a huge impact on your self esteem but I want all of you out there who have to deal with it on a daily basis to know that you are not alone and that it does fade away- even if the situation looks hopeless.

My Story...


I've been dealing with Acne for quite a long time now. I remember it starting when I was about 10 years old. I would occasionally get a few spots on my forehead, nothing too tragic- if I look at it now. Back then all my friends had flawless skin and this really made me feel ugly and lowered my self esteem. 2 years later when I got my period, those occasional break outs worsened and happened more often. At this point I started wearing make up to cover up my pimples which only made it worse.

When I was about 14 years old I started to get proper acne especially on my cheeks. Although the spots on my forehead and chin had faded, the inflamed pimples on my cheeks made my face swell up and caused me to develop really low self esteem. I then asked my mum to go to a dermatologist who diagnosed Acne Vulgaris. I got a microdermabrasion cream prescribed, which causes your skin to peel off so that new skin can be reproduced. This treatment was really painful and caused my skin to be super inflamed, red and very very dry. After a month my skin reproduced itself- and immediately new pimples appeared. I was back at square one. At that point I stopped any medical treatment and just made sure to remove my make up properly every night. My acne didn't get worse, however it didn't change to the better either.

When I was about 17, my acne started to heal but then I moved to London. My skin was used to fresh country air and this noticeably changed the appearance of it. I again started to break out especially on the areas of my cheeks. Unlike last time, I started to do a lot of research online, tried face mapping (which helped me to understand why I got acne in certain areas on my face) and discovered the magic of natural skin care. (After that one appointment at the dermatologist I swore myself to never take chemical medication again!)  Since then I was able to almost fully heal my acne except for the occasional pimple on my chin I always get when I'm on my period and I'm really happy with how far I've come!

How I got rid of acne- and how I keep it this way!

Honey...

This is probably one of the greatest discoveries I've made. (Thanks to Pinterest!)
I usually mix a teaspoon of cinnamon with a tablespoon of raw honey and apply it as a mask onto my freshly cleaned skin every second day. The natural healing properties of honey help to keep your skin clear and reduce redness!

 Grape Seed Oil...

One of the mayor changed happened after I stopped using make up wipes or chemical cleansers. I simply put a few drops of grape seed oil onto a cotton pad to remove eye make up (even waterproof!) then I put some in the palms of my hand and just rub these all over my face to remove concealer etc. This works better than anything else I've tried before and is super gentle! (And cheap!)

Hot Water...

No, this is not a joke. After I removed all of my make up, I take a tea towel and soak it in hot water. After it's reached a bearable temperature, I press it onto my face until it's cooled down. This opens up your pores and therefore treatments work a lot better!

Cold Water...

...works as an opposite to hot water and closes pores. I make sure to splash it onto my skin after I've finished my cleansing routine.

Moisturiser...

You'll read this everywhere if you do research on acne. DON'T dry your skin out if it's oily! It will produce more oil and clog your pores even worse which leads to a lot more acne!

Acne Scars... 

I've got a few scars on my cheeks and skin which I'm currently trying to get rid of. I use Bi- Oil for this, which is a natural remedy for scars, strech marks and wrinkles. I got it at my local Superdrug after a friend suggested it and so far I'm really liking it! It also dissolves oil overproduction and therefore avoids break outs! 

I hope you liked this post! Thanks for reading! If you have any questions or feedback, leave a comment below! 

All the love,

Julia

 

 







Comments

  1. I struggle with this too! Great tips though!
    Beth x
    http://www.bethwatkinson.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it xx (Your blog is gorgeous by the way!)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Glad you liked it!I Love how similar our blog names are! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I read every single one and try to reply as soon as possible. -J xx

Popular posts from this blog

How I conceal my acne scars...

Nail Polish Favourites - Spring Edition!

Wakey Wakey Eggs and Bakey! My Morning Routine.